From: Grant Goodyear <g2boojum@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GLEP 49 - take 2
Date: Mon, 22 May 2006 15:36:10
1 Jon Portnoy wrote: [Mon May 22 2006, 09:38:23AM CDT]
2 > On Mon, May 22, 2006 at 09:21:34AM -0400, Ned Ludd wrote:
3 > > Please don't change your wording on that. The feel really strongly
4 > > about the primary pkg manager of Gentoo needing remain under the full
5 > > control of Gentoo Linux.
8 > Agreed, I'm of the opinion it would be inappropriate to let an outside
9 > entity steer our primary package manager.
10
11 I'm not sure I understand why. After all, mandriva, suse, ubuntu, and
12 many others have survived quite well. More to the point, though, it's
13 not clear to me what awful things happen if Gentoo does not own the
14 package manager code, as long as that code is under a reasonable
15 license. Suppose that such a package manager did became a Gentoo
16 default, and at some point the program diverged from what Gentoo really
17 wanted; wouldn't Gentoo then just fork the package manager? Am I
18 missing something obvious?
19
20 -g2boojum-
21 --
22 Grant Goodyear
23 Gentoo Developer
24 g2boojum@g.o
25 http://www.gentoo.org/~g2boojum
26 GPG Fingerprint: D706 9802 1663 DEF5 81B0 9573 A6DC 7152 E0F6 5B76