From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaranm@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Multiple Repo Support
Date: Tue, 27 Dec 2005 18:59:32
1 On Tue, 27 Dec 2005 19:27:01 +0100 Carsten Lohrke <carlo@g.o>
2 wrote:
3 | - We speak about ebuilds, which are installed and need to be
4 | reinstalled. There is no version cycling (or I do not get what you're
5 | after, please explain in that case).
6
7 foo-1.0: DEPEND="=foo-2.0"
8 foo-2.0: DEPEND=""
9 foo-3.0: DEPEND="=foo-1.0"
10 bar-1.0: DEPEND="=foo-1.0"
11 baz-1.0: DEPEND="=foo-2.0 bar"
12 moo-1.0: DEPEND="=foo-3.0 baz"
13
14 # emerge moo -pv
15
16 One solution for this particular case, assuming I didn't get confused
17 and screw it up:
18
19 [n] foo-2.0
20 [d] foo-1.0
21 [n] bar-1.0
22 [u] foo-2.0
23 [n] baz-1.0
24 [d] foo-1.0
25 [u] foo-3.0
26 [n] moo-1.0
27
28 Notice how we have to repeatedly upgrade and downgrade foo.
29
30 | - Changed use flags will be processed by the normal dependency
31 | calculation of the ebuilds to be rebuilt which may lead to additional
32 | dependencies or blockers. It could also be that some ebuilds are
33 | installed, which do not exist in the repository anymore.
34
35 Again, you can get cycling. This one's even nastier, if you have
36 various packages that DEPEND upon something built with [foo], various
37 packages that DEPEND upon something built with [!foo] and upgrade /
38 downgrade cycling on that package...
39
40 | > you may find the PCP somewhat useful...)
41 |
42 | PCP - pretty colored potato? I don't know the abbreviation. Please
43 | explain it and whatelse I miss in your eyes.
44
45 Post's Correspondence Problem. It's a proven general case unsolvable
46 problem that looks suspiciously similar to the general case "dependency
47 resolution with cycling" situation...
50 Ciaran McCreesh : Gentoo Developer (I can kill you with my brain)
51 Mail : ciaranm at gentoo.org
52 Web : http://dev.gentoo.org/~ciaranm