From: Kent Fredric <kentfredric@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Proposal for changes for the next EAPI version
Date: Tue, 17 May 2016 09:16:09
1 On 17 May 2016 at 20:46, Tobias Klausmann <klausman@g.o> wrote:
2 > And as for my pet peeve, tests that are known to fail, can we
3 > also annotate that somehow so I don't waste hours running a test
4 > suite that gives zero signal on whether I should add the stable
5 > keyword? Even a one-line hin in the stabilization request would
6 > be nice. As it is, I keep a list of known-to-fail packages and my
7 > testing machinery tells me to not bother with FEATURES=test in
8 > those case.
11 IMO: Tests that are "expected to fail" should be killed.
12
13 You should either use RESTRICT=test to veto tests entirely ( which I
14 don't favour ), or more carefully
15 filter how the test suites get executed.
16
17 Tests that fail for non-reasons and are left in that state serve a
18 disservice to any package that has them, because it encourages people
19 to not run tests, and that encourages them not to see failures when
20 the tests identify *real* issues.
21
22 There's really no point in a test suite if "Failure is OK" is the
23 standard you're targeting.
26 Kent
27
28 KENTNL - https://metacpan.org/author/KENTNL