From: Tobias Klausmann <klausman@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Proposal for changes for the next EAPI version
Date: Tue, 17 May 2016 08:46:56
1 Hi!
2
3 On Tue, 17 May 2016, Kent Fredric wrote:
4
5 > On 17 May 2016 at 19:37, Pallav Agarwal <pallavagarwal07@×××××.com> wrote:
6 > > For normal users we wouldn't. But currently, arch-testers need to make a
7 > > judgement call on what to test when a stable-req bug is filed. Tests run in
8 > > src_test are provided by upstream, and does not guarantee that a package
9 > > that has been merged will actually run on the system.
10 > > If the maintainer could add a couple small scripts to check basic
11 > > functionality
12 > > of the merged package, it would make testing for arch testers much easier
13 > > and reliable.
14 > > Let me give an example. Let's say
15 > > app-misc/screenfetch-2.7.7 is the current stable package for screenfetch in
16 > > the portage tree.
17 > > However, on running, it produces an error on the top, along with the proper
18 > > output.
19 > > If screenfetch-3.0.0 happens to fix that error, maintainer can add a simple
20 > > script
21 > >
22 > > if [ "$(screenfetch 2>&1 1>/dev/null)" != "" ] then
23 > > eerror "Still producing error"
24 > > fi
25 > >
26 > > To make sure the build is properly updating the screenfetch version, and
27 > > that
28 > > the bug has in fact been fixed. This is the only way I can see to reliabily
29 > > and automatically test packages that have been merged successfully
32 > I don't think this needs to be an EAPI change. And if we can acheive
33 > the goal without one, the better.
34
35 Agreed.
36
37 > [... lots of interesting stuff ...]
38
39 Or maintainers and teams could do what the Emacs team does:
40 provide test plans[0].
41
42 Naturally, I'd prefer something automated over the very hands-on
43 tests that are a bit of a necessity for an application like
44 Emacs, but they are still better than nothing.
45
46 Either way, I think it is preferable to have non-upstream tests
47 of whatever shape we pick to be separate from the ebuilds and the
48 source files, for the simple reason that most users won't care
49 about them. Those who do can retrieve them in the same manner as
50 the ATs.
51
52 And as for my pet peeve, tests that are known to fail, can we
53 also annotate that somehow so I don't waste hours running a test
54 suite that gives zero signal on whether I should add the stable
55 keyword? Even a one-line hin in the stabilization request would
56 be nice. As it is, I keep a list of known-to-fail packages and my
57 testing machinery tells me to not bother with FEATURES=test in
58 those case.
59
60 Not ideal, but less time-wasty.
61
62 Regards,
63 Tobias
64
65 [0] https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:Emacs/Test_plans
69 if (user_specified)
70 /* Didn't work, but the user is convinced this is the
71 * place. */
72 linux-2.4.0-test2/drivers/parport/parport_pc.c