From: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
To: Gentoo Dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: noarch keyword
Date: Thu, 19 Mar 2020 14:47:33
1 On Thu, Mar 19, 2020 at 6:52 AM Gerion Entrup <gerion.entrup@×××××.de>
2 wrote:
3
4 > Am Donnerstag, 19. März 2020, 02:59:56 CET schrieb Kent Fredric:
5 > > On Wed, 18 Mar 2020 17:52:25 +0000
6 > > James Le Cuirot <chewi@g.o> wrote:
7 > >
8 > > > Not quite. Tools like repoman will need to be updated to understand
9 > > > that an ebuild with KEYWORDS="amd64" can depend on another ebuild with
10 > > > only KEYWORDS="noarch". I do think the idea has merit though.
11 > >
12 > > But the inverse is _not_ true, an ebuild with KEYWORDS="noarch"
13 > > *cannot* depend on another ebuild with only KEYWORDS="amd64".
14 > Maybe I misunderstand something but shouldn't that be the normal case?
15 > Every single Python package (candidates for noarch) for example depends
16 > on the Python interpreter, which must have non noarch keywords.
19 > > Otherwise it breaks the entire stabilization graph.
20 > The condition would be: If the interpreter is stable for an arch, all
21 > it's interpreted code is also stable for this arch.
24 Much of the concern is that this condition is not true for all interpreted
25 code.
26
27 -A
32 > Best,