From: "M. J. Everitt" <m.j.everitt@×××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2018 14:50:29
1 On 10/01/18 13:49, kuzetsa wrote:
2 > On 01/10/2018 05:57 AM, David Seifert wrote:
3 >> On Wed, 2018-01-10 at 08:55 +0100, Lars Wendler wrote:
4 >>> On Wed, 10 Jan 2018 08:48:56 +0300 Eray Aslan wrote:
5 >>>
6 >>>> On Tue, Jan 09, 2018 at 10:20:56PM +0100, Andreas K. Huettel wrote:
7 >>>>> * Posting to the list will only be possible to Gentoo developers
8 >>>>> and
9 >>>>> whitelisted additional participants.
10 >>>> This is so contrary to what I and I thought Gentoo stands for:
11 >>>> openness, transparency, inclusiveness even when these require a
12 >>>> rather
13 >>>> thick skin and result in high noise. It's a price worth paying.
14 >>>>
15 >>>> I guess I should a) pay more attention to council elections b)
16 >>>> consider
17 >>>> the idea that the whole council thing as it stands now is just not
18 >>>> working.
19 >>>>
20 >>> Wow. I couldn't have said it better.
21 >>> Seems we're turning into an elitist club or something...
22 >>> I wonder how many users we're going to loose on this one. Well done
23 >>> council :-(
24 >>>
25 >> If your only reason to use Gentoo is because you can post to the main
26 >> developer ML, and not because we try to provide a great distribution
27 >> with lots of choice, a current toolchain and lots of customization,
28 >> then you're likely using the wrong distribution.
29 >>
30 > If development of a quality distribution which meets
31 > these goals requires thick skin, something is broken:
32 >
33 > I've never seen anything from the gentoo foundation
34 > which suggests that the gentoo developer mail list
35 > should be considered a safe space for disparaging
36 > remarks. Think of the messaging on this - for every
37 > 1 or 2 people who are willing to come forward to
38 > address these concerns, there are likely "not zero"
39 > who didn't want to deal with confrontation and the
40 > risk that rudeness and hostile behavior would be
41 > defended.
42 >
43 Your argument seems partially contradictory here, and I think the
44 interpretation may be muddled with language barriers for those
45 developers/users with English as a foreign language ...
46
47 Are you reinforcing the point [widely accepted by many whose heads
48 aren't in the proverbial sand[0]] that Gentoo is [or is becoming] an
49 elitist club, or condoning "bad behaviour" by both devs and non-devs on
50 the mailing lists....
51
52 Your final point, however, makes a lot of sense .. [1]
55 [0] - https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/head-in-the-sand
56 [1] - https://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/keep+head+down