From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: nelchael@g.o, Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: new feature to disable merging into stray locations
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2012 09:50:53
1 On Mon, 30 Apr 2012 11:42:56 +0200
2 Krzysztof Pawlik <nelchael@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > >> so the package *has to overwrite* files that are not owned by
5 > >> anyone (no package owns them).
6 > >
7 > > The usual approach to this problem was to have some cleanup code in
8 > > pkg_setup or pkg_preinst that would remove the old files.
9 >
10 > Interesting idea - I see two problems:
11 > - how I would get the list of files for already installed version
12 > (the file list can (and will) differ between versions)
13
14 As PMS doesn't give us any better tools, you can just look at ${ROOT}
15 in pkg_preinst().
16
17 > - PM has a manifest file that lists all installed file, it can check
18 > against it, not against live file system, so just removing the files
19 > may not be enough (just my speculations - I'm not sure of this)
20
21 It is enough in case of Portage. Especially that those files aren't
22 listed in those manifests.
25 Best regards,
26 Michał Górny