From: foser <foser@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Please use land-misc herd where appropriate! No no-herd madness!!!
Date: Sat, 09 Oct 2004 18:42:04
1 On Sat, 2004-10-09 at 18:25 +0100, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > On Sat, 09 Oct 2004 16:54:29 +0200 foser <foser@g.o> wrote:
3 > | On Sat, 2004-10-09 at 14:56 +0100, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
4 > | > On Sat, 09 Oct 2004 15:33:19 +0200 foser <foser@g.o> wrote:
5 > | > | Every package is in some form a subset of a category of packages
6 > | >
7 > | > Not really, hence why solar's suggestion (which is just a
8 > | > formalisation of what we're doing anyway) is such a good idea.
9 > |
10 > | Well, this gets to be a yes/no thread. But I personally do not believe
11 > | there are packages that cannot be categorized in meaningful way on
12 > | some common denominator with other packages (read : herd). Granted, a
13 > | herd may not exist yet, but thats something else.
14 >
15 > Well, that's the thing... You *could* go and create a bunch of arbitrary
16 > herds to cover things. But take, for example, er... dev-util/txt2regex.
17 > I think you'd have a hard time finding a herd for that, since there's no
18 > particular identifiable group of people that use both this and a half
19 > dozen or so other misc apps. Plus, it's such a trivial easy-to-maintain
20 > package that it's not worth the effort of finding additional maintainers
21 > and co-ordinating them. Some things really don't need a team behind
22 > them...
23
24 I don't say these things need a 'team behind them' when they are being
25 maintained by some individual, i do say that they need something to fall
26 back upon when the maintainer disappears. Already certain 'no-herd'-ed
27 ebuilds with a single maintainer are unmaintained because the maintainer
28 went inactive. The essence is to always have some group responsible for
29 every ebuild in the tree.
30
31 This is not about making a difference when the maintainer is still
32 around, but a way to guarantee continuity. In this case I can imagine a
33 nice herd dubbed shell-tools or something where this & other
34 unidentifiable commandline utils can be grouped together.
35
36 - foser