From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaranm@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Please use land-misc herd where appropriate! No no-herd madness!!!
Date: Sat, 09 Oct 2004 17:30:24
1 On Sat, 09 Oct 2004 16:54:29 +0200 foser <foser@g.o> wrote:
2 | On Sat, 2004-10-09 at 14:56 +0100, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
3 | > On Sat, 09 Oct 2004 15:33:19 +0200 foser <foser@g.o> wrote:
4 | > | Every package is in some form a subset of a category of packages
5 | >
6 | > Not really, hence why solar's suggestion (which is just a
7 | > formalisation of what we're doing anyway) is such a good idea.
8 |
9 | Well, this gets to be a yes/no thread. But I personally do not believe
10 | there are packages that cannot be categorized in meaningful way on
11 | some common denominator with other packages (read : herd). Granted, a
12 | herd may not exist yet, but thats something else.
13
14 Well, that's the thing... You *could* go and create a bunch of arbitrary
15 herds to cover things. But take, for example, er... dev-util/txt2regex.
16 I think you'd have a hard time finding a herd for that, since there's no
17 particular identifiable group of people that use both this and a half
18 dozen or so other misc apps. Plus, it's such a trivial easy-to-maintain
19 package that it's not worth the effort of finding additional maintainers
20 and co-ordinating them. Some things really don't need a team behind
21 them...
24 Ciaran McCreesh : Gentoo Developer (Sparc, MIPS, Vim, Fluxbox)
25 Mail : ciaranm at gentoo.org
26 Web : http://dev.gentoo.org/~ciaranm