From: "Bruce A. Locke" <blocke@××××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] why multilog?
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2001 16:56:24
1 I've been playing around with the daemon tools package recently.
2 Supervise is nice and would be handy in a server setting but I can't
3 figure out why anyone would want multilog over a syslog or syslog
4 replacement. The resulting log files have to be filtered to be readable,
5 they are _not_ being put into /var/log with the syslog.d stuff, etc, the
6 filenames are not very human readable, there are multiple processes
7 involved (including the gluelog hack). Seems like I'm loosing ease of
8 use, the ability to forward logs, a standard log location, etc in exchange
9 for a poorly documented monstrocity :) What is the advantages of
10 multilog? Perhaps I'm missing something :)
11
12 Would it be possible to get a syslog USE keyword or equiv and have the
13 supervise run scripts we create have support for it? That way if the use
14 keyword is set then people can use syslog or a syslog replacement like
15 syslog-ng and people who happen to like multilog can continue using it.
16
17 Just a thought... any comments?
18
20 Bruce A. Locke