From: Jerry A! <jerry@×××××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] why multilog?
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2001 19:06:07
1 On Wed, Jul 11, 2001 at 06:56:57PM -0500, Bruce A. Locke wrote:
2 :
3 : I've been playing around with the daemon tools package recently.
4 : Supervise is nice and would be handy in a server setting but I can't
5 : figure out why anyone would want multilog over a syslog or syslog
6 : replacement. The resulting log files have to be filtered to be readable,
7 : they are _not_ being put into /var/log with the syslog.d stuff, etc, the
8 : filenames are not very human readable, there are multiple processes
9 : involved (including the gluelog hack). Seems like I'm loosing ease of
10 : use, the ability to forward logs, a standard log location, etc in exchange
11 : for a poorly documented monstrocity :) What is the advantages of
12 : multilog? Perhaps I'm missing something :)
13
14 Actually, check out http://cr.yp.to/daemontools/multilog.html. You can
15 figure out how to accomplish what you're for (log sizes/rotation/etc.)
16
17 As for the /var/log/syslog.d/current, just make that a symbolic link to
18 /var/log/syslog.
19
20 Multilog is part of a package for daemonizing programs. However, it's
21 designed to not choke and not beat up on the system like syslog.
22 Likewiese, it makes every effort to ensure that no data is lost. Oh,
23 and it's much more lightweight than syslogd/klogd. It's a good program.
24
25 Having said that, I'll be honest, I don't like it. It's a preference
26 thing, not a technical issue. I'd recommend app-admin/metalog (and not
27 just because I put it in the tree).
30 post them later tonight (leaving in a coupla minutes--don't have time
31 right now).
32
33 : Would it be possible to get a syslog USE keyword or equiv and have the
34 : supervise run scripts we create have support for it? That way if the use
35 : keyword is set then people can use syslog or a syslog replacement like
36 : syslog-ng and people who happen to like multilog can continue using it.
37
38 Achim?
39
40 --Jerry
41
42 name: Jerry Alexandratos || Open-Source software isn't a
43 phone: 703.599.6023 || matter of life or death...
44 email: jerry@×××××××.org || ...It's much more important
45 || than that!