From: AGottinger@t-online.de (Achim Gottinger)
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] why multilog?
Date: Sat, 14 Jul 2001 08:56:42
1 "Jerry A!" wrote:
2 >
3 > On Wed, Jul 11, 2001 at 06:56:57PM -0500, Bruce A. Locke wrote:
4 > :
5 > : I've been playing around with the daemon tools package recently.
6 > : Supervise is nice and would be handy in a server setting but I can't
7 > : figure out why anyone would want multilog over a syslog or syslog
8 > : replacement. The resulting log files have to be filtered to be readable,
9 > : they are _not_ being put into /var/log with the syslog.d stuff, etc, the
10 > : filenames are not very human readable, there are multiple processes
11 > : involved (including the gluelog hack). Seems like I'm loosing ease of
12 > : use, the ability to forward logs, a standard log location, etc in exchange
13 > : for a poorly documented monstrocity :) What is the advantages of
14 > : multilog? Perhaps I'm missing something :)
15 >
16 > Actually, check out http://cr.yp.to/daemontools/multilog.html. You can
17 > figure out how to accomplish what you're for (log sizes/rotation/etc.)
18 >
19 > As for the /var/log/syslog.d/current, just make that a symbolic link to
20 > /var/log/syslog.
21 >
22 > Multilog is part of a package for daemonizing programs. However, it's
23 > designed to not choke and not beat up on the system like syslog.
24 > Likewiese, it makes every effort to ensure that no data is lost. Oh,
25 > and it's much more lightweight than syslogd/klogd. It's a good program.
26 >
27 > Having said that, I'll be honest, I don't like it. It's a preference
28 > thing, not a technical issue. I'd recommend app-admin/metalog (and not
29 > just because I put it in the tree).
32 > post them later tonight (leaving in a coupla minutes--don't have time
33 > right now).
34 >
35 > : Would it be possible to get a syslog USE keyword or equiv and have the
36 > : supervise run scripts we create have support for it? That way if the use
37 > : keyword is set then people can use syslog or a syslog replacement like
38 > : syslog-ng and people who happen to like multilog can continue using it.
39 >
40 > Achim?
41
42 Yep, good idea, I switched back to syslog too.
43
44 achim~
45 >
46 > --Jerry
47 >
48 > name: Jerry Alexandratos || Open-Source software isn't a
49 > phone: 703.599.6023 || matter of life or death...
50 > email: jerry@×××××××.org || ...It's much more important
51 > || than that!
54 > gentoo-dev mailing list
55 > gentoo-dev@××××××××××.org