From: Martin Schlemmer <azarah@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Closing bugs [was: New Bugzilla HOWTO]
Date: Sat, 09 Jul 2005 10:11:57
1 On Fri, 2005-07-08 at 23:46 -0400, Nathan L. Adams wrote:
3 > Hash: SHA1
4 >
5 > Mike Frysinger wrote:
6 > >>>This brings up a point that really irks me. In the bug, I believe the dev
7 > >>>implies that the reported bug has merit /yet he closes the bug before
8 > >>>actually doing something about it/. And I don't mean to pick on Jeffrey;
9 > >>>this seems to be a common habit among Gentoo devs.
10
11 > >>Also note that the bug is NOT "closed", only /resolved/. There /is/ a
12 > >>not insignificant technical difference, altho it /does/ seem Gentoo
13 > >>doesn't seem to actually close bugs that often.
14 >
15 > Ah, my bad. For some reason I thought it had been closed. But I know
16 > that if you looked (not too hard) you could find bugs that were closed
17 > by the person assigned to resolve it and/or that were closed before the
18 > 'fix' was marked stable.
21 > > thats because very few (if any) think or care about the difference
22 >
23 > You could make bugzilla try to enforce the process; that would get dev's
24 > thinking and caring! Just think: The Great QA Rebellion of 2005 ;)
27 Problem is many of us have sometimes already too many bugs to care about
28 users reporting something, and then never coming back, not even talking
29 about keeping to poke the reporter to come back and say the fix works
30 fine, and close it. Thus the fix it, test it, resolve the bug as Fixed,
31 and if the user do not reopen it, your work is done.
35 Martin Schlemmer
36 Gentoo Linux Developer, Desktop/System Team Developer
37 Cape Town, South Africa