From: Daniel Robbins <drobbins@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] More Portage problems
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2001 18:30:28
1 On Tue, Apr 17, 2001 at 05:14:18PM -0700, wackman wrote:
2 > OK, I'm a little further along with portage.
3 >
4 > Daniel, you were right. My problem was the old ebuild lying around in
5 > /usr/sbin. I removed it and the newer ebuild took over. Then I had a
6 > problem with wget. I didn't have in on my system and I couldn't ebuild
7 > it (because it needed wget to get wget). I just downloaded the source,
8 > compiled and installed. Then ebuild worked like a charm.
9
10 Glad to hear that you got over that hurdle!
11
12 > I have since been merging ebuilds left and right. By the way, iblibio
13 > seems to be down for me. Many things are failing. The only ones that
14 > aren't are the things that have their own major ftp sites (like the
15 > gnome stuff).
16
17 ibiblio.org is down for us, too. Hopefully, it'll be back up soon. In
18 the meantime, you can add this to your /etc/make.conf file:
19
20 GENTOO_MIRRORS="http://download.sourceforge.net/pub/mirrors/metalab/Linux ftp://ftp.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux"
21
22 This will cause "fetch" to look at the sourceforge mirror before checking
23 ibiblio.
24
25 > Well, I was starting on ebuilding gnome 1.4. I tried ORBit which
26 > downloaded, compiled and merge just fine. Then at the end it mentioned
27 > something about the digest being rebuilt. It is implying there is a
28 > digest I need to ebuild, but I can't find it. Any ideas?
29
30 Normally, maintainers add the digests to CVS, but sometimes we forget. I'd
31 check with Pete on this one. If you want, you can do an "ebuild foo.ebuild
32 fetch", and when it complains of no digest, try doing this:
33
34 # ebuild foo.ebuild digest
35
36 This should generate the digest on your system so that ebuild is satisfied.
37 But the real solution is to bug Pete to put the digest on cvs :)
38
39 > I love ebuild. other than the iblibio and the digest, thins are going great.
40 >
41 > Thanks for all of your help.
42
43 You're welcome; that's what we're here for.
44
45 Best Regards,
48 Daniel Robbins <drobbins@g.o>
49 President/CEO http://www.gentoo.org