From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo git workflows and the stabilization/keywording process
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2014 19:13:42
1 On Mon, Sep 22, 2014 at 2:28 PM, W. Trevor King <wking@×××××××.us> wrote:
2 > On Mon, Sep 22, 2014 at 02:13:53PM -0400, Rich Freeman wrote:
3 >> Perhaps the c clause should be clarified that the source files
4 >> themselves were not modified - not the commit message.
5 >
6 > The DCO text is verbatim copies only [1], so I don't think adjusting
7 > clauses is legal.
8
9 I copied it from /usr/src/linux/Documentation/SubmittingPatches which
10 is GPLv2, as far as I can tell.
11
12 But, I don't think the text really applies to the commits - just the
13 code itself. But, whatever.
14
15 > And if you're modifying neither the source files
16 > nor the commit message, I'm not sure where you're suggesting the
17 > Signed-off-by go. Or are you saying that when a maintainer adds their
18 > s-o-b and blows away the user's signature, they should just say “don't
19 > worry, this is still pretty much what the user signed”?
20
21 Yes. The user's commit will probably not end up in the tree most of
22 the time. Not that I object to them being there.
23
24 > Personally, I
25 > don't think the maintainer appending their s-o-b to the user's commit
26 > is all that important (certainly not worth blowing away the user's
27 > signature) when they can just sign and s-o-b an explicit merge commit.
28
29 Agree. No need to modify the original commit.
32 Rich