From: "W. Trevor King" <wking@×××××××.us>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo git workflows and the stabilization/keywording process
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2014 18:28:55
1 On Mon, Sep 22, 2014 at 02:13:53PM -0400, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > Perhaps the c clause should be clarified that the source files
3 > themselves were not modified - not the commit message.
4
5 The DCO text is verbatim copies only [1], so I don't think adjusting
6 clauses is legal. And if you're modifying neither the source files
7 nor the commit message, I'm not sure where you're suggesting the
8 Signed-off-by go. Or are you saying that when a maintainer adds their
9 s-o-b and blows away the user's signature, they should just say “don't
10 worry, this is still pretty much what the user signed”? Personally, I
11 don't think the maintainer appending their s-o-b to the user's commit
12 is all that important (certainly not worth blowing away the user's
13 signature) when they can just sign and s-o-b an explicit merge commit.
14
15 > I don't have a problem with preserving contributor commits via merge
16 > commits, but I don't think that is the general proposed workflow.
17
18 The wiki has [2]:
19
20 don't do complicated rebases to avoid a merge commit at all cost (it
21 may even cause losing information, e.g. user signatures)
22
23 which makes sense to me.
24
25 Cheers,