From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo git workflows and the stabilization/keywording process
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2014 18:14:01
1 On Mon, Sep 22, 2014 at 12:52 PM, W. Trevor King <wking@×××××××.us> wrote:
2 > On Mon, Sep 22, 2014 at 11:29:52AM -0400, Rich Freeman wrote:
3 >> On Mon, Sep 22, 2014 at 10:50 AM, Ulrich Mueller wrote:
4 >> > Another issue, should we require "Signed-off-by:" lines? At least
5 >> > for things that are contributed by users?
6 >> >
7 >> > …
8 >>
9 >> Thanks for bringing this up. I had circulated the start of a
10 >> proposal on this a year ago:
11 >> http://dev.gentoo.org/~rich0/copyrightpolicy.xml
12 >
13 > The (c) clause (“I got this patch from someone else who'd signed the
14 > DCO for it”) leads to chains like:
15 >
16 > Signed-off-by: A. U. Thor <author@×××××××.com>
17 > Signed-off-by: Some Maintainer <smaintainer@×××××××.com>
18 > …
19 >
20 > as the patch percolates up to the main repository. In Gentoo, that's
21 > probably going to be just a Gentoo dev, or an external contributor
22 > plus a Gentoo dev. The multiple-signoffs version is not going to play
23 > well with signed commits, because if A. U. Thor signed his commit
24 > (with just his Signed-off-by), Some Maintainer will not be able to add
25 > her Signed-off-by without dropping Thor's commit signature. My
26 > suggested solution here is to take the same approach we're suggesting
27 > for commit signatures, and just have the maintainer add their
28 > Signed-off-by to an explicit merge commit pulling in the contributor's
29 > work.
30
31 Perhaps the c clause should be clarified that the source files
32 themselves were not modified - not the commit message.
33
34 I don't have a problem with preserving contributor commits via merge
35 commits, but I don't think that is the general proposed workflow.
38 Rich