From: "W. Trevor King" <wking@×××××××.us>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo git workflows and the stabilization/keywording process
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2014 16:52:10
1 On Mon, Sep 22, 2014 at 11:29:52AM -0400, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Mon, Sep 22, 2014 at 10:50 AM, Ulrich Mueller wrote:
3 > > Another issue, should we require "Signed-off-by:" lines? At least
4 > > for things that are contributed by users?
5 > >
6 > > …
7 >
8 > Thanks for bringing this up. I had circulated the start of a
9 > proposal on this a year ago:
10 > http://dev.gentoo.org/~rich0/copyrightpolicy.xml
11
12 The (c) clause (“I got this patch from someone else who'd signed the
13 DCO for it”) leads to chains like:
14
15 Signed-off-by: A. U. Thor <author@×××××××.com>
16 Signed-off-by: Some Maintainer <smaintainer@×××××××.com>
19 as the patch percolates up to the main repository. In Gentoo, that's
20 probably going to be just a Gentoo dev, or an external contributor
21 plus a Gentoo dev. The multiple-signoffs version is not going to play
22 well with signed commits, because if A. U. Thor signed his commit
23 (with just his Signed-off-by), Some Maintainer will not be able to add
24 her Signed-off-by without dropping Thor's commit signature. My
25 suggested solution here is to take the same approach we're suggesting
26 for commit signatures, and just have the maintainer add their
27 Signed-off-by to an explicit merge commit pulling in the contributor's
28 work.
29
30 Cheers,
31 Trevor