From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: rich0@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: add-on files handling improvements
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2015 02:14:31
1 On Sun, Mar 29, 2015 at 07:49:32PM -0400, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Sun, Mar 29, 2015 at 7:28 PM, William Hubbs <williamh@g.o> wrote:
3 > > On Mon, Mar 30, 2015 at 12:11:34AM +0200, Matthias Maier wrote:
4 > >>
5 > >> > Thoughts?
6 > >>
7 > >> One point in favor of the current practice (installing add-on files
8 > >> unconditionally) is the fact that you can basically do it for free - you
9 > >> neither have to depend on additional packages, nor is the presence of
10 > >> the add-on files a penalty in download time or storage.
11 > >
12 > > The add-on files i'm talking about are not specifically used by the
13 > > packages that install them. They are add-ons that hook the packages into
14 > > external functions, such as shell completions, logrotate files, xinetd
15 > > configurations, etc.
16 > >
17 > > The penalty is cruft on the users's systems when they don't use the
18 > > programs that read these files, such as app-admin/logrotate,
19 > > sys-apps/xinetd, etc.
20 >
21 > The problem is that if you don't install this stuff up-front you end
22 > up rebuilding half your system to install it later.
23 >
24 > I think the cleanest solution is to just install this stuff
25 > unconditionally, and users who really object to having it around can
26 > use INSTALL_MASK. It is just a couple of inodes, on a distro that by
27 > default sticks a dozen inodes for every package in the repository on
28 > their root partition.
29
30 *snip*
31
32 > Not everybody uses logrotate, xinetd, cron.d, and so on. It still
33 > makes sense to just install the files, since they passively sit there
34 > doing nothing in those cases.
35
36 Rich,
37
38 Not everyone uses zsh either, but you just said in the other thread that
39 it is acceptable to put zsh completions behind a use flag [1], and a
40 couple of others agreed with us.
41
42 So, if we are going to do that for zsh, I'm just wanting to attempt
43 defining what is common vs what isn't, and no, I don't think we should
44 bug the council with this every time it comes up about a package.
45
46 William
47
48 [1]