From: "Dustin C. Hatch" <admiralnemo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] tmpfiles virtual
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2016 15:49:32
1 On 2016-11-14 23:09, Michał Górny wrote:
2 > On Mon, 14 Nov 2016 18:23:10 -0600
3 > William Hubbs <williamh@g.o> wrote:
4 >
5 >> Hi all,
6 >>
7 >> I have been working on splitting the tmpfiles functionality out of
8 >> OpenRC [1], and I believe the new package is about to enter the tree.
9 >>
10 >> OpenRC itself doesn't need this package to boot since it doesn't use
11 >> tmpfiles.d files, but other software does need it.
12 >>
13 >> This brings up a couple of questions.
14 >>
15 >> Since we now will have two different ways to process tmpfiles, is
16 >> virtual/tmpfiles appropriate, with the default being opentmpfiles?
17 >
18 > Yes. Virtual will allow us to control list of supported implementations
19 > easily. We can also use it to control different versions of tmpfiles
20 > format.
21 >
22 >> Once opentmpfiles is in the tree and stable, should virtual/tmpfiles
23 >> be added to @system, or should we have the packages that need it rdepend
24 >> on it directly? I tend to lean toward the second option.
25 >
26 > We will RDEPEND on it via tmpfiles.eclass. I think floppym has a draft
27 > somewhere. In case that draft uses DEPEND, it just occurred to me that
28 > we need RDEPEND for pkg_postinst().
31 What about administrator-specified temporary files in /etc/tmpfiles.d?
32 It would be rather unfortunate to have stuff suddenly stop working
33 because an OpenRC got updated and stopped creating these temporary files.
36 ♫Dustin