From: Richard Yao <ryao@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: moving default location of portage tree
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2018 20:34:39
1 > On Jul 11, 2018, at 11:56 AM, Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 >> On Wed, Jul 11, 2018 at 11:36 AM Raymond Jennings <shentino@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >>
5 >> I do think it would be a wise idea to "grandfather" the current layout
6 >> for awhile.
9 > I don't see why we would ever stop supporting it, at least in general.
10 > Maybe if some day somebody had a solution for a read-only /usr with
11 > signature checking that might require portage to be mounted elsewhere,
12 > but I don't ever see that becoming the default.
13 >
14 > Portage just looks for the repository where you tell it to. If you
15 > tell it that the repository is in /var, it will use it. If you put it
16 > in /tmp, that's fine too.
17 >
18 > This is just about the default, which should follow FHS. The case of
19 > separate mounts is exactly why /usr is a bad spot - the access
20 > patterns for something like the repository have far more in common
21 > with /var than /usr.
22
23 On my system, /usr/portage is a separate mountpoint. There is no need to have on,h top level directories be separate mountpoints.
24 >
25 > --
26 > Rich