From: Kurt Lieber <klieber@g.o>
To: Stuart Herbert <stuart@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] A new 'arches@gentoo.org' alias for bugzilla?
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2004 12:54:16
1 On Thu, Jul 22, 2004 at 11:53:32AM +0100 or thereabouts, Stuart Herbert wrote:
2 > Well, having to manually add all the arches by hand is error-prone. Plus,
3 > just keeping track of all the arches isn't easy either. No-one maintains a
4 > list of valid arches + aliases on www.g.o (have you *seen* how out of date
5 > the Project Listing is atm?).
6 >
7 > So, I'm sorry about the inconvenience this might cause the arch teams, but not
8 > having an alias like this seems more inconvenient for the rest of the devs -
9 > ie the majority of us.
10
11 As Thierry already noted, this alias already exists in arch-maintainers.
12 However, I don't think using it as you're suggesting is that great of an
13 idea. As Jeremy already pointed out, adding this alias prevents a specific
14 arch from removing themselves after they've acted on a particular bug.
15 Assuming baselayout has all the arches that folks are currently working on,
16 that gives us a list of:
17
18 x86 ppc sparc mips alpha arm hppa amd64 ia64 ppc64 s390
19
20 That means that each arch will receive up to *eleven* emails for each bug
21 and there's nothing they can do to prevent that. This is going to
22 dramatically increase the signal/noise ratio (which is already bad enough)
23 and make it very difficult for folks to use email alerts about bugs
24 effectively.
25
26 What is the problem we're trying to solve here? Can aliz's aging ebuild
27 script solve that? (or be extended to solve that?)
28
29 --kurt