From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: RFC: News item regarding c++98 vs c++11
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2014 05:00:00
1 Anthony G. Basile posted on Sun, 19 Oct 2014 18:59:41 -0400 as excerpted:
2
3 > On 10/19/14 18:57, Jeroen Roovers wrote:
4 >> On Sun, 19 Oct 2014 18:53:43 -0400 "Anthony G. Basile"
5 >> <blueness@g.o> wrote:
6 >>
7 >>> we may want to inform users about breakage at the ABI level in case
8 >>> they do something like add -std=c++11 to their global CXXFLAGS.
9 >> You mean tell them they get to keep the pieces?
10 >
11 > Yes. I'm saying it politely.
12
13 The news item seems to suggest that users will be fine if they switch
14 /everything/ using C++ to the new standard, alto it might be a bit tough
15 getting to that point, but I'd guess an emerge --emptytree @world should
16 do it, keeping track of what breaks if anything and attempting a later
17 remerge of that package, which is what I've done when I've gone a year or
18 two between upgrades, for instance, and it has taken patience but has
19 worked.
20
21 But here it looks like the intent is to say they're on their own if they
22 do it, even if the do it /all/ (using emptytree or the like to ensure
23 it's all done in at least recorded dependency order), which is a quite
24 different message than what I got from reading the news item.
25
26 So if you really wish to say that people electing to try c++11 are on
27 their own, even if they rebuild everything, the news item needs to be
28 reworded to say that.
33 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman