From: Peter <pete4abw@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Unified nVidia Driver Ebuild ready for testing
Date: Fri, 23 Dec 2005 19:11:35
1 On Fri, 23 Dec 2005 18:47:40 +0000, Mike Frysinger wrote:
2
3 > On Fri, Dec 23, 2005 at 12:41:45PM -0500, Peter wrote:
4 >> We are in the process of developing and testing
5 >> a unified nVidia driver ebuild. When implemented,
6 >> it will replace the nvidia-kernel, nvidia-glx, and
7 >> nvidia-settings ebuilds. It will also add the utility
8 >> nvidia-xconfig.
9 >
10 > issues:
11 > - people rebuild nvidia-kernel when they upgrade/change their kernel
12 > version; rebuilding the other packages in this case is pointless
13 > - nvidia-kernel/nvidia-glx may be released in parallel, but
14 > the nvidia-settings package is not last i checked (never even heard
15 > of nvidia-xconfig) ... whats the point in unifying things when they
16 > arent the same version ... you'll hit the same issue as above, if
17 > a new version of nvidia-settings is put out, people will have to
18 > pointlessly rebuild the other nvidia packages
19 > -mike
20
21 All noted. nvidia-settings and -xconfig are included in binary form with
22 the pkg?.run files. -xconfig is married to a particular version of the
23 driver. Settings too will change rarely, if at all, without a driver
24 update.
25
26 Total compile time, as noted in the bug report, for me was 1' 10" using an
27 XP 2500 oc'ed to 2800. The glx modules don't compile at all since they're
28 not open source. Updating only kernel, and not glx is a dangerous business
29 in any case. By unifying the ebuilds, we are merely duplicating what
30 nvidia provides in its install packages. We're not doing anything they
31 aren't.
32
33 FWIW, I have already contacted upstream and suggested _strongly_ that they
34 include the source for settings and xconfig with the pkg?.run files.
35
36 Your feedback is appreciated. Please post to the bug report any additional
37 comments.
40 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list