From: Michael Orlitzky <mjo@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: cron.* and modern cron implementations
Date: Sun, 03 Mar 2019 01:26:07
1 On 3/2/19 7:44 PM, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 >>
3 >> Totally. We should replace run-parts with something much simpler and
4 >> more predictable. Then, if that doesn't work for you, all modern crons
5 >> can do the things that run-parts tries to do, but better.
8 > I'm not sure I see the connection here. All run-parts does is run all
9 > the scripts in a directory. That seems pretty simple and
10 > deterministic.
13 Oof, yeah, sorry. I thought we were talking about *run-crons* and not
14 *run-parts*. We should get rid of *run-crons*, which is installed by
15 cronbase and used by vixie-cron, fcron, bcron, and dcron (according to
16 grep).
17
18 Using run-parts in /etc/crontab also has its problems, but I don't have
19 a solution handy for that one. Using run-parts runs those daily, weekly,
20 etc. jobs as root, which may not be what you want if you're operating on
21 user-controlled data (e.g. bug 662438). The best way to solve this would
22 be to let packages install their own crontab entries into a directory
23 like /etc/cron.d, but that location isn't standard.