From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: cron.* and modern cron implementations
Date: Sun, 03 Mar 2019 00:44:35
1 On Sat, Mar 2, 2019 at 7:26 PM Michael Orlitzky <mjo@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > On 3/2/19 7:05 PM, William Hubbs wrote:
4 > >
5 > > Is there a reason we still use run-parts and the
6 > > /etc/cron.{hourly,daily,weekly,monthly} structure to run repeating cron jobs?
7 > >
8 > > From what I read in the chat earlier, it sounds like the modern crons
9 > > might be able to handle this without that structure, but I'm not sure.
10 >
11 > https://bugs.gentoo.org/69777
12 >
13 > Totally. We should replace run-parts with something much simpler and
14 > more predictable. Then, if that doesn't work for you, all modern crons
15 > can do the things that run-parts tries to do, but better.
18 I'm not sure I see the connection here. All run-parts does is run all
19 the scripts in a directory. That seems pretty simple and
20 deterministic.
21
22 The bug is about cronbase, which contains run-crons, along with
23 installing the cron.d directories. I could see an argument for
24 splitting that package though obviously the package is already pretty
25 simple.
26
27 I imagine most cron implementations do not use run-crons. Whether any
28 particular one (like vixie-cron) should seems like a matter of taste.
29
30 Are we just talking about not having vixie-cron use run-crons? And
31 instead having it just have time-scheduled jobs for run-parts on the
32 various cron.* directories? That seems a bit narrower in scope than
33 what was originally suggested, though it isn't clear to me what is
34 being suggested...
37 Rich