From: Michael Orlitzky <mjo@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: cron.* and modern cron implementations
Date: Sun, 03 Mar 2019 00:27:07
1 On 3/2/19 7:05 PM, William Hubbs wrote:
2 >
3 > Is there a reason we still use run-parts and the
4 > /etc/cron.{hourly,daily,weekly,monthly} structure to run repeating cron jobs?
5 >
6 > From what I read in the chat earlier, it sounds like the modern crons
7 > might be able to handle this without that structure, but I'm not sure.
8
9 https://bugs.gentoo.org/69777
10
11 Totally. We should replace run-parts with something much simpler and
12 more predictable. Then, if that doesn't work for you, all modern crons
13 can do the things that run-parts tries to do, but better.
14
15 Basically: if I choose vixie-cron, then let me get the vixie-cron
16 behavior. Or if I choose something more modern, get out of the way.