From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Ideas for a (fast) EAPI=3
Date: Mon, 09 Mar 2009 22:58:25
1 On Mon, 09 Mar 2009 17:38:51 -0500
2 Jeremy Olexa <darkside@g.o> wrote:
3 > Should the next EAPI (as proposed) be a major "release" in terms of
4 > naming?
5
6 We don't use major.minor numbers for EAPI or have a concept like that.
7 It's too much mess.
8
9 > And should it really be adding features?
10
11 Well... So far as I can see, the main driving force behind all of this
12 is the immediate need for [use(+)] deps (since developers don't want to
13 have to mess around with complex || statements), and [use(+)] is most
14 definitely a new feature.
15
16 > With that said, can't bug fixes be implemented without an EAPI bump?
17
18 If we screw up the specification and catch it early enough on, then
19 yes. But [use(+)] really isn't a bug fix...
22 Ciaran McCreesh