From: Jeremy Olexa <darkside@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Ideas for a (fast) EAPI=3
Date: Mon, 09 Mar 2009 22:40:45
1 Tiziano � wrote:
2 > Hi everyone
3 >
4 > With eapis 1 and 2 we introduced nice features but also a couple of new
5 > problems. One of them are the use dependencies when the package you
6 > depend on doesn't have the use flag anymore (see [1] for an example).
7 >
8 > So I think it's time for a short eapi bump with some distinct
9 > improvements:
10
11 I'm replying to the top level because I don't think any of the ideas are
12 particularly bad. However, I wanted to raise this point:
13
14 Should the next EAPI (as proposed) be a major "release" in terms of
15 naming? And should it really be adding features? It is my opinion that
16 EAPI bumps should move slower, one every year or so, in order to
17 preserve upgradeable options for people that don't update often.
18 However, I'm not going to let my opinion here block progress if it is
19 needed.
20
21 I would propose that EAPI="2.1" be an extension of EAPI="2" and be
22 limited to only bug fixes as presented instead of smashing the bug fixes
23 in EAPI="3" along with new features.
24
25 With that said, can't bug fixes be implemented without an EAPI bump? I
26 suppose that is not exactly safe in all cases.. =/ But, we should do a
27 better job fixing "bugs" while the EAPI is in ~arch still. No, I don't
28 have any ideas on how to accomplish that.. =P
29
30 (Don't let this post turn into bikeshedding wrt naming options, just
31 throwing it out there without wanting to defend it too much)
32
33 -Jeremy