From: Fabian Groffen <grobian@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Keyword amd64 -> x86_64
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2008 12:41:40
1 On 21-02-2008 19:40:43 +0100, Diego 'Flameeyes' Pettenò wrote:
2 > Marius Mauch <genone@g.o> writes:
3 >
4 > > - x64 is IMO the worst name for the architecture (originally a MS
5 > > marketing term later adopted by Sun, looks too similar to x86, name
6 > > doesn't make any sense really if you compare it to x86)
7 >
8 > Marius said all I wanted to say on that name.
9 >
10 > Beside, does it really changes stuff for anybody beside Intel fanboys?
11
12 I guess amd64 is just as much a marketing term as x64 then, and whether
13 or not fanboys, I don't care, but amd64-macos just doesn't make any
14 sense to me, and em64t is just as bad as (if not worse than) amd64. I
15 could even live with i64, even though that might get confused with ia64.
16 Long story short, in the end it's just a keyword, so nothing life
17 threathening.
21 Fabian Groffen
22 Gentoo on a different level
23 --