From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: [RFD] Adopt-a-package, proxy-maintenance, and other musings
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2016 06:48:00
1 NP-Hardass posted on Tue, 19 Jan 2016 00:44:49 -0500 as excerpted:
2
3 > "adopt-a-package" type program. In functionality, this is no different
4 > than proxy-maintenance, however, this codifies it into an explicit
5 > policy whereby users are encouraged to step and take over a package.
6 > This obviously requires a greater developer presence in the proxy-maint
7 > project (or something similar),
8 > but, personally, I think that a stronger dev presence in proxy-maint
9 > would be better for Gentoo as a whole.
10
11 That gave me the idea of a maintainer-needed eclass. When packages are
12 set to maintainer-needed, they can simply inherit this eclass and add
13 whatever function to the pkg_postinst, that will add a message that will
14 in effect say "adopt-me please", probably printing a proxy-maintainer
15 invitation URL to go to for more information.
16
17 Talking about pkg_postinst messages, unless I missed it there's no simple
18 way to add a one ATM, without coding up the whole function, making it
19 problematic for eclasses, etc. For EAPI-7, what about either a helper
20 function that can be called, or an array variable that can be simply
21 added to, that simply adds the supplied message to a list of messages
22 printed at pkg_postinst time, and of course an appropriate
23 default_pkg_postinst to go along with it? Then ebuilds and eclasses can
24 call this helper or set this var in whatever phase they need to, and the
25 message will be printed at pkg_postinst time without having to worry
26 about setting up your own pkg_postinst or stepping on anything
27 pkg_postinst related setup elsewhere.
32 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman