From: Aaron Bauman <bman@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] */*: Mask Py2 only packages
Date: Sat, 20 Jun 2020 19:24:22
1 On Sat, Jun 20, 2020 at 01:29:46PM +0200, Thomas Deutschmann wrote:
2 > On 2020-06-20 12:07, Michał Górny wrote:
3 > >> Al least, python2 is not on your list.
4 > >>
5 > >> Be first into the future by masking this stuff and
6 > >> Last out of the past by leaving up to users to decide.
7 > >> It could stay in the tree, masked, as long as python2.
8 > >>
9 > >
10 > > Do you really think it'd be better to last rite a 1000 packages
11 > > simultaneously?
12 >
13 > What's the purpose of this at all?
14 >
15 > dev-lang/python:2.7 won't go away that soon.
16 >
17 > Removing perfectly working and up-to-date software which is in
18 > maintenance-only mode like net-mail/offlineimap is just not user-friendly.
19 >
20 > It doesn't even has deps on other Python packages blocking your cleanup
21 > delusion.
24 Thomas, unfortunately, I am shocked at your choice of words here. I
25 think it is reasonable that any developer would understand a lack
26 of forward momentum in removing Py2 only packages only drives
27 stagnation.
28
29 If you have a more effective method to doing so, I am open to
30 suggestions.
31
32 re: net-mail/offlineimap... there are alternatives.
35 Cheers,
36 Aaron