From: James Le Cuirot <chewi@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Last rites: dev-java/oracle-{jre,jdk}-bin
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2019 17:30:24
1 On 18 April 2019 16:56:16 BST, Mike Gilbert <floppym@g.o> wrote:
2 >On Wed, Apr 17, 2019 at 10:44 PM Georgy Yakovlev <gyakovlev@g.o>
3 >wrote:
4 >>
5 >> On Wednesday, April 17, 2019 6:31:42 PM PDT Mike Gilbert wrote:
6 >> > On Wed, Apr 17, 2019 at 3:35 PM Georgy Yakovlev
7 ><gyakovlev@g.o>
8 >> wrote:
9 >> > > # Georgy Yakovlev <gyakovlev@g.o> (17 Apr 2019)
10 >> > > # The Oracle JDK License has changed for releases starting April
12 >> > > # While it may be fine to use for some usecases it's not
13 >comepletely clear
14 >> > > # what is considered "personal use" and if we can legally
15 >distribute it.
16 >> > > # License states:
17 >> > > # "You may not:
18 >> > > # make the Programs available in any manner to any third party"
19 >> >
20 >> > I don't agree with your rationale here.
21 >> >
22 >> > Gentoo does not distribute the JDK due to RESTRICT="fetch mirror"
23 >in
24 >> > the ebuild, so Oracle's license has no relevance.
25 >> >
26 >> > Oracle cannot prohibit us from distributing a shell script that
27 >moves
28 >> > some files around. That liability is on the user who runs it.
29 >> >
30 >> > We cannot force you to continue maintaining this package, but I
31 >think
32 >> > we should have a better reason for masking/removing it. If you
33 >cannot
34 >> > provide one, please just drop this to maintainer-needed.
35 >>
36 >> I've modified the mask for now, but I still believe we should drop
37 >it.
38 >> I do not maintain it at all, I only work on openjdk and a bit of
39 >icedtea.
40 >>
41 >> For a while[1] we've been modifying provided jar:
42 >>
43 >> zip -d jre/lib/rt.jar sun/misc/PostVMInitHook.class || die
44 >>
45 >> but license[2] states that
46 >>
47 >> "You may not:
48 >> ...
49 >> make the Programs available in any manner to any third party
50 >> ...
51 >> create, modify, or change the behavior of, classes, interfaces,
52 >or
53 >> subpackages that are in any way identified as "java", "javax", "sun",
54 >“oracle”
55 >> or similar convention as specified by Oracle in any naming convention
56 >> designation.
57 >>
58 >> "
59 >>
60 >> Is it even legal?
61 >
62 >That does seem like it might cause some legal problems for users.
63 >
64 >> Java usage tracker will fail due to sandbox during builds.
65 >>
66 >> while writing this email I found out it's probably possible to
67 >disable it with
68 >> com.oracle.usagetracker.track.last.usage=false
69 >> in
70 >> /etc/oracle/java/usagetracker.properties
71 >>
72 >> need to test it
73 >
74 >If that does not work, a possible alternative would be to install a
75 >file in /etc/sandbox.d to add some path to SANDBOX_PREDICT.
76 >
77 >Anyway, this issue does seem like grounds for removal if it is not
78 >addressed by somebody.
79
80 IIRC, SANDBOX_PREDICT doesn't really help in this case because it triggers on any package using Java within the home directory of the build user and the HOME environment variable isn't respected.
81 --
82 Sent from my Android device with K-9 Mail. Please excuse my brevity.