From: Daniel Drake <dsd@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] 2.6.18 going stable in 1 week
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2006 13:54:28
1 Thomas Cort wrote:
2 > What package(s) are going stable in 1 week? I have no clue what you are
3 > writing about since you didn't mention it in your e-mail. I did a
4 > quick search and found the following 6 packages which have a version
5 > 2.6.18:
6 >
7 > gentoo-sources-2.6.18
8 > linux-headers-2.6.18
9 > suspend2-sources-2.6.18
10 > usermode-sources-2.6.18
11 > vanilla-sources-2.6.18
12
13 Sorry about that. I was referring to gentoo-sources, which is really the
14 only truly supported kernel (excluding some arch-specific ones).
15
16 > You also neglected to mention which architectures are going stable. Are
17 > all arches going stable at the same time (in 1 week)? Will you still
18 > go ahead with the stable marking if http://bugs.gentoo.org/148429 is
19 > not resolved?
20
21 x86 and amd64 immediately, and assuming they don't have showstoppers,
22 ppc/ppc64/sparc usually follow up real quick.
23
24 Yes, it will go stable even if some dependencies of bug 148429 are not
25 fixed. These are *not* kernel bugs, they are bugs in the individual
26 packages.
27
28 However, I don't ignore them, I have already put many hours into fixing
29 those bugs. I have been through every bug listed there and provided
30 fixes/workarounds to all of them. I expect to have to spend even more
31 time chasing up maintainers of the unfixed packages there.
32
33 This is becoming a real problem for me as I'm having to waste excessive
34 amounts of time on every kernel release fixing bugs in packages which
35 are nothing to do with me. I'm considering dropping stable keywords from
36 repeat offenders, but really there aren't any of those: external kernel
37 packages are almost guaranteed to break every once in a while, and we
38 simply have a large number of these packages which aren't given much
39 attention by their maintainers. Any suggestions here are appreciated.
40
41 Daniel
42
43 P.S. The tone of your email didn't offend me, but that's probably
44 because I completely agreed with it. Andrew is certainly right in that
45 we should be really careful about how we write things.
46 --
47 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list