From: Richard Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Monthly Gentoo Council Reminder for April
Date: Thu, 03 Apr 2008 13:21:42
1 Mike Auty wrote:
2 > So the still unanswered question appears to be, would we like Gentoo to
3 > have fewer packages and less choice but greater QA, stability and a feel
4 > of professionalism, or would we like to have more packages and choice
5 > but a worse QA record, make some mistakes, and have a more
6 > community-based feel? If you're going to try to answer this question
7 > please be delicate with your repsonses, in the past I can recall
8 > developers leaving over exactly this divide...
11 Well, Gentoo is about choice, so why not be both? We already have
12 ~arch/arch and overlays, and if the need really arose we could have more
13 levels of QA. Then everybody can have the level of bleeding-edge that
14 they desire.
15
16 Maybe all we need is to make it easier to contribute to overlays and use
17 overlays, and then have a moderately-higher general level of QA in the
18 main tree, and then the highest level of QA for stable (particularly for
19 system packages). You could even have the opposite - maybe a
20 super-stable overlay for stuff like server apps with backported patches
21 that users could elect to take priority even over the portage tree. The
22 only real gap is a general facility for assigning priority for
23 repositories (possibly on a per-package basis), and maybe a GUI for
24 managing everything.
25
26 Regardless, as long as devs actually follow policy I don't see any need
27 to boot them. Maybe very long periods of inactivity should result in
28 having accounts locked as a security measure (so that we don't end up
29 with hundreds of ssh keys with commit access floating around who knows
30 where). Booting out lots of devs just takes a limited set of resources
31 and limits them further. If anything we want to find a way to let more
32 people contribute in a significant way - not less...
33 --
34 gentoo-dev@l.g.o mailing list