From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Monthly Gentoo Council Reminder for April
Date: Thu, 03 Apr 2008 19:10:28
1 On Thu, 2008-04-03 at 09:21 -0400, Richard Freeman wrote:
2 > Regardless, as long as devs actually follow policy I don't see any need
3 > to boot them. Maybe very long periods of inactivity should result in
4 > having accounts locked as a security measure (so that we don't end up
5 > with hundreds of ssh keys with commit access floating around who knows
6 > where). Booting out lots of devs just takes a limited set of resources
7 > and limits them further. If anything we want to find a way to let more
8 > people contribute in a significant way - not less...
9
10 I think many people seem to forget that it isn't the number of
11 developers or the number of commits. It is all about the amount of
12 actual work that gets done. We need more work being done. Period. It
13 doesn't matter how that gets accomplished, but it is what we need.
14 Removing less active developers would be perfectly fine once we had a
15 good proxy maintainer program in place that would allow people to
16 contribute easily without having to have commit access. A developer who
17 only commits rarely isn't any more valuable to Gentoo than a "regular
18 user" who contributes at the same pace. The only difference is the
19 commit access and the Gentoo resources used by the individual.
22 Chris Gianelloni
23 Release Engineering Strategic Lead
24 Games Developer
25 --