From: Dylan Carlson <absinthe@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Bug voting
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2004 21:04:34
1 On Tuesday 27 July 2004 4:09 pm, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 >
3 > Uh, no. They are assumptions based upon a very large body of direct
4 > evidence. Since we can't go and ask every single user what they think,
5 > that's the best we can get.
6
7 No, that's the best you have, which is another way of saying, nothing.
8 The problem here is that you presume to know what is best for everyone, and
9 worse, what everyone else wants.
10
11 > That's just it, though. Doesn't take much effort to get a few hundred
12 > Off The Wall readers to register multiple accounts and vote-bomb a bug
13 > because it's 'funny' or 'cool'. Like I said, search for "portage
14 > ignorance" in Off The Wall and you'll see a perfect example.
17 bugzilla != phpbb
18
19 And I'll say it again: voting works great for KDE and Mozilla-- which are
20 very large projects such as ours (if not larger).
21
22 > No, the top-10 will end up containing "support reiser4 in g-d-s" and
23 > "add kernel-I'm-not-allowed-to-name to portage". See aforementioned OTW
24 > thread.
25
26 Again, assumptions. Even if that were true, and most of our users wanted
27 reiser4 in g-d-s, then I hope we would at least give them some time to
28 consider it.
31 > You're assuming that a) votes equate to what our users want, and b) our
32 > users understand every single issue involved. As Peter already
33 > suggested, the subtle but important bugs won't get voted on, because
34 > most people don't know what they're about.
35
36 a) I'm not assuming that. The numbers are what they are. Among Gentoo
37 users who are in Bugzilla, and voting. (x) votes have been cast for this
38 bug. Nothing more, nothing less.
39
40 b) Subtle but important to whom? You? Yes, I can see why letting people
41 vote would be a problem for you. It would potentially shift the
42 priorities from the things you feel are important to what the users feel
43 are important.
44
45 > Our interface is already complex enough that most people need a wizard.
46 > Why add even more to it?
47
48 Because it encourages participation in the process of developing Gentoo.
49 It gives people a feature to tell us what's important to them, instead of
50 just filing bugs which, to some users, seem to be a black hole. Voting
51 gives people a simple way of expressing, "this is important to me".
52
53 Perhaps it would lead to less people filing blocker/critical bugs if they
54 felt they could attract attention to a bug by other means.
55
56 Package feedback as a separate effort is good, but that doesn't address
57 bugs which address all of Gentoo, as a project including our
58 documentation, infrastructure, etc.
59
60 > Of course it's irrelevant. The colour of the bike shed doesn't matter.
61 > Whether or not we enable a feature which could end up causing serious
62 > problems for developers matters a lot. Two entirely separate issues.
63
64 Really. How would enabling voting cause "serious problems" for developers?
65
66 1. It doesn't change how you (or anyone else) is using Bugzilla
67 2. It's a completely opt-in feature, for users and devs alike
68 3. It can be quickly disabled at any time.
69
70 Sure, serious problems there.
71
72 Cheers,