From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaranm@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Bug voting
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2004 21:41:41
1 On Tue, 27 Jul 2004 16:37:03 -0400 Dylan Carlson <absinthe@g.o>
2 wrote:
3 | On Tuesday 27 July 2004 4:09 pm, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
4 | > Uh, no. They are assumptions based upon a very large body of direct
5 | > evidence. Since we can't go and ask every single user what they
6 | > think, that's the best we can get.
7 |
8 | No, that's the best you have, which is another way of saying, nothing.
9
10 I'd hardly call 30,000 emails and however many forums posts there are
11 "nothing".
12
13 | > No, the top-10 will end up containing "support reiser4 in g-d-s" and
14 | > "add kernel-I'm-not-allowed-to-name to portage". See aforementioned
15 | > OTW thread.
16 |
17 | Again, assumptions. Even if that were true, and most of our users
18 | wanted reiser4 in g-d-s, then I hope we would at least give them some
19 | time to consider it.
20
21 Go take a look at the thread.
22
23 | b) Subtle but important to whom? You? Yes, I can see why letting
24 | people vote would be a problem for you. It would potentially shift
25 | the priorities from the things you feel are important to what the
26 | users feel are important.
27
28 No, subtle as in "this bug will cause people various really strange
29 problems, but they won't realise what's causing it". Don't forget, the
30 package maintainers quite often know a lot more about the package and
31 the way it interacts with the system than the bug submitters and voters.
32
33 Good example: the automagic link detection before DHCP feature that
34 people keep on wanting in baselayout. Looks nice on the surface, lots of
35 people saying "yes please", but suddenly when it's implemented we get
36 thousands of users with broken networking because it turns out that that
37 nifty link detection feature isn't universally reliable.
38
39 | Because it encourages participation in the process of developing
40 | Gentoo. It gives people a feature to tell us what's important to
41 | them, instead of just filing bugs which, to some users, seem to be a
42 | black hole. Voting gives people a simple way of expressing, "this is
43 | important to me".
44
45 See below...
46
47 | Perhaps it would lead to less people filing blocker/critical bugs if
48 | they felt they could attract attention to a bug by other means.
49
50 Assumptions
51
52 | Really. How would enabling voting cause "serious problems" for
53 | developers?
54 |
55 | 1. It doesn't change how you (or anyone else) is using Bugzilla
56 | 2. It's a completely opt-in feature, for users and devs alike
57 | 3. It can be quickly disabled at any time.
58
59 Well, either the voting affects developers, in which case it's a serious
60 problem because it'll detract from the bugs which are *actually*
61 important, or it won't affect developers, in which case your claims
62 above are effectively meaningless.
65 Ciaran McCreesh : Gentoo Developer (Sparc, MIPS, Vim, Fluxbox)
66 Mail : ciaranm at gentoo.org
67 Web : http://dev.gentoo.org/~ciaranm