From: Dylan Carlson <absinthe@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Bug voting
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2004 22:34:36
1 On Tuesday 27 July 2004 5:39 pm, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2
3 > I'd hardly call 30,000 emails and however many forums posts there are
4 > "nothing".
5
6 Wasn't it you who called them the "vocal minority"?
7
8 In any event, they are our users... and ultimately the more, simple tools
9 we can give users to let us know what they think is important, the better
10 we are able to prioritize what gets worked on -- particularly enhancements
11 to our tools.
12
13 > No, subtle as in "this bug will cause people various really strange
14 > problems, but they won't realise what's causing it". Don't forget, the
15 > package maintainers quite often know a lot more about the package and
16 > the way it interacts with the system than the bug submitters and voters.
17
18 Right, a completely isolated case. As a package maintainer should know
19 more than most users. But ultimately, most bugs (that haven't been closed
20 out as INVALID/etc) are either problems with the way something works now,
21 or an enhancement request. You think that votes get cast for stupid
22 things? Do you really think our users are stupid?
23
24 Go on, look at KDE's bug system w/votes, or Mozilla's for that matter.
25
26 I'll save you the trouble:
27
28 KDE defects with votes: http://tinyurl.com/c5ja
29 KDE enhancements with votes: http://tinyurl.com/c5j3
30 Mozilla bugs with votes: http://tinyurl.com/59dxl
31
32 Do those bugs that have votes look like a waste of time to you? The users
33 for KDE, Mozilla, etc use the voting system responsibly and I believe ours
34 will too.
35
36 > Well, either the voting affects developers, in which case it's a serious
37 > problem because it'll detract from the bugs which are *actually*
38 > important, or it won't affect developers, in which case your claims
39 > above are effectively meaningless.
40
41 It won't influence any developers (like you) who choose to ignore the
42 votes. For others, it will be a tool like any other (severity, priority,
43 etc) to help determine what needs attention. It's not a mandate.
44
45 For developers such as yourself, what are you worried about? Ignore the
46 votes and keep working on your buglist like you normally would. I fail to
47 see the problem here.
48
49 Cheers,
50 Dylan Carlson [absinthe@g.o]