From: Alon Bar-Lev <alonbl@g.o>
To: ryao@g.o
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Changing policy about -Werror
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2018 17:22:29
1 On Fri, Sep 14, 2018 at 8:16 PM Richard Yao <ryao@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > On 09/14/2018 12:40 PM, Alon Bar-Lev wrote:
4 > > On Fri, Sep 14, 2018 at 12:34 AM Sergei Trofimovich <slyfox@g.o> wrote:
5 > >>
6 > >> On Tue, 11 Sep 2018 12:44:38 +0300
7 > >> Alon Bar-Lev <alonbl@g.o> wrote:
8 > >>
9 > >> I'm personally in favour of not allowing -Werror
10 > >> to be in build system unconditionally.
11 > >>
12 > >> Maintainer is free to implement --enable-werror any way
13 > >> it's convenient to run on their own extended sanity checks
14 > >> and optionally expose it to users. Be it USE flag or
15 > >> EXTRA_ECONF option.
16 > >
17 > > This discussion is not for downstream to have a more strict policy
18 > > than upstream. People try to hijack discussion and introduce noise to
19 > > de-focus the discussion.
20 > >
21 > > Downstream policy cannot be more strict than upstream as then every
22 > > change upstream is doing downstream need to rebase and invest in even
23 > > more changes.
24 > >
25 > > This discussion is to follow upstream strict policy if upstream proves
26 > > that it stands behind it and downstream is willing to follow.
27 > I don't think we should do that unless we provide a USE flag for users
28 > to opt into the behavior. Forcing it on users is problematic for the
29 > reasons others stated. However, letting them opt into the behavior is
30 > reasonable.
31 >
32 > In the case of sys-fs/zfs, enabling -Werror (which includes -Wall) on
33 > USE=debug is following upstream's wishes to build debug builds with -Werror.
34
35 Let's do this the other way around and be react based on facts and not
36 speculations.
37 Let's change the policy for a year for selected packages as I
38 outlined, monitor bugs and after a year see response times, affected
39 users and if downstream patches are accumulated. Then we can decide if
40 we need to patch upstream packages.
41 If we need to patch upstream package anyway, not follow upstream
42 policy and not accepting input for various of permutations and
43 architecture from all users, this discussion is nearly void.