From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o, ryao@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Changing policy about -Werror
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2018 17:33:23
1 On Fri, 2018-09-14 at 20:22 +0300, Alon Bar-Lev wrote:
2 > On Fri, Sep 14, 2018 at 8:16 PM Richard Yao <ryao@g.o> wrote:
3 > >
4 > > On 09/14/2018 12:40 PM, Alon Bar-Lev wrote:
5 > > > On Fri, Sep 14, 2018 at 12:34 AM Sergei Trofimovich <slyfox@g.o> wrote:
6 > > > >
7 > > > > On Tue, 11 Sep 2018 12:44:38 +0300
8 > > > > Alon Bar-Lev <alonbl@g.o> wrote:
9 > > > >
10 > > > > I'm personally in favour of not allowing -Werror
11 > > > > to be in build system unconditionally.
12 > > > >
13 > > > > Maintainer is free to implement --enable-werror any way
14 > > > > it's convenient to run on their own extended sanity checks
15 > > > > and optionally expose it to users. Be it USE flag or
16 > > > > EXTRA_ECONF option.
17 > > >
18 > > > This discussion is not for downstream to have a more strict policy
19 > > > than upstream. People try to hijack discussion and introduce noise to
20 > > > de-focus the discussion.
21 > > >
22 > > > Downstream policy cannot be more strict than upstream as then every
23 > > > change upstream is doing downstream need to rebase and invest in even
24 > > > more changes.
25 > > >
26 > > > This discussion is to follow upstream strict policy if upstream proves
27 > > > that it stands behind it and downstream is willing to follow.
28 > >
29 > > I don't think we should do that unless we provide a USE flag for users
30 > > to opt into the behavior. Forcing it on users is problematic for the
31 > > reasons others stated. However, letting them opt into the behavior is
32 > > reasonable.
33 > >
34 > > In the case of sys-fs/zfs, enabling -Werror (which includes -Wall) on
35 > > USE=debug is following upstream's wishes to build debug builds with -Werror.
36 >
37 > Let's do this the other way around and be react based on facts and not
38 > speculations.
39 > Let's change the policy for a year for selected packages as I
40 > outlined, monitor bugs and after a year see response times, affected
41 > users and if downstream patches are accumulated. Then we can decide if
42 > we need to patch upstream packages.
43 > If we need to patch upstream package anyway, not follow upstream
44 > policy and not accepting input for various of permutations and
45 > architecture from all users, this discussion is nearly void.
48 ...and for how long did you exactly ignore the standing policy that
49 suddenly we need a new testing period? How about we do the opposite
50 and you prove a *single* bug found downstream using this method so far?
51
52 Because so far this discussion is not much different than "let's make
53 the ebuild fail for some values of ${RANDOM}, and add extra values when
54 users complain". Though the variant with random has probably a greater
55 chance of failing when *actual* security issues happen.
58 Best regards,
59 Michał Górny