From: donnie berkholz <spyderous@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] gentoo text editors
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2003 07:55:11
1 On Thu, 2003-09-11 at 00:13, C. Brewer wrote:
2 > On Wed, 10 Sep 2003 20:07:36 -0500
3 > Rather than make Gentoo more like Debian-like (ick!), wouldn't it be simpler
4 > to set the ebuild for clisp to /usr/bin/editor and have src_unpack do a
5 > ln -s $EDITOR /usr/bin/editor, which would give a specific editor while
6 > leaving the $EDITOR variable alone?
7
8 What if I happen to emerge emacs because I want to learn how to use it,
9 but would prefer that my default editor remain nano? Things like that
10 shouldn't change just because I emerged emacs.
11
12 Besides, I see it as quite Gentoo-like, given our history of *-config
13 utilities (java-config, gcc-config). It might make sense to have an
14 optional front end to all of them, so one just needs to remember
15 sys-config, and from there select various options (java, gcc, editor,
16 etc.).