From: "C. Brewer" <cbrewer@×××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] gentoo text editors
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2003 18:07:39
1 On Thu, 11 Sep 2003 03:54:00 -0400
2 donnie berkholz <spyderous@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > What if I happen to emerge emacs because I want to learn how to use it,
5 > but would prefer that my default editor remain nano? Things like that
6 > shouldn't change just because I emerged emacs.
7 >
8 > Besides, I see it as quite Gentoo-like, given our history of *-config
9 > utilities (java-config, gcc-config). It might make sense to have an
10 > optional front end to all of them, so one just needs to remember
11 > sys-config, and from there select various options (java, gcc, editor,
12 > etc.).
13
14 Since the individual editors don't set the $EDITOR value, you could emerge
15 emacs, vi, vim, elvis, pico, etc.,and as long as EDITOR in /etc/rc.conf
16 still points to /bin/nano, it wouldn't matter. In fact, I'm sure someone
17 could whip up something that even checked the value in rc.conf and adjusted
18 the link accordingly. I'm not against an optional front end, or an optional
19 /etc/alternatives, with the key being optional. Currently when I feel like
20 dealing with that, I roll my chair over 3 feet to the Debian box. i realize
21 that it might help alot of people and have no wish to hinder such a effort,
22 as long as the tools are provided, not forced:)
25 Chuck Brewer
26 Registered Linux User #284015
27 Get my gpg public key at pgp.mit.edu!! Encrypted e-mail preferred.