From: Kurt Lieber <klieber@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Council Responsibilities (was: Email subdomain)
Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2005 13:55:07
1 On Sat, Nov 19, 2005 at 10:31:23AM +0100 or thereabouts, Thierry Carrez wrote:
2 > What I find disturbing here is that nobody found the issue interesting
3 > enough to read the October Council decisions as to what was needed to be
4 > changed for the GLEP to be approved.
5
6 I think there's some validity to this point, but I actually hold the
7 members of the council at least partially repsonsible for the lack of
8 communication.
9
10 <my opinion>
11 The council is not only responsible for making decisions when consensus
12 cannot be reached. They're also responsible for proactive communication.
13 I don't think it's reasonable to expect all devs to read through full IRC
14 transcripts, sift out the nonsense, distill it down to its salient points
15 and then decide how it fits with their own particular views on Gentoo.
16
17 The council needs to take a more active role in posting meeting minutes and
18 proactively communicating with the dev community, rather than expecting
19 everyone to come to them to figure out what's going on.
20 </my opinion>
21
22 > You can't just ignore the discussion and the iterim decisions and
23 > complain afterwards when the decision is taken.
24
25 You can't reasonably expect all Gentoo devs to read through unfiltered IRC
26 logs to figure out what discussion went on.
27
28 And, just for the record, s/Gentoo Council/Gentoo Trustees/ and I feel the
29 exact same way -- we, as trustees, need to do a better job about
30 communicating as well.
31
32 --kurt