From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: unifying use.mask/package.use.mask, use.force, package.use.force, etc
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2012 01:29:59
1 Brian Harring posted on Sun, 09 Sep 2012 15:10:27 -0700 as excerpted:
2
3 > [Current profile config to to mask the USE=introspection
4 > globally, but unmask it for app-crypt/gcr]:
5 >
6 > use.mask:
7 > introspection
8 >
9 > package.use.mask:
10 > app-crypt/gcr -introspection
11
12 > [Suggest killing package.* content, folding it into use.*]
13
14 > use.mask:
15 > * introspection
16 > app-cryt/gcr -introspection
17
18 > Specifically, collapsing:
19 > package.use.mask, use.mask -> use.mask
20 > package.use.force, use.force -> use.force
21 > package.use.stable.mask, use.stable.mask -> use.stable.mask
22 > package.use.stable.force, use.stable.force -> use.stable.force
23
24 You mention doing this for the profile.
25
26 ?? Would user's package.* and general make.conf settings remain the same?
27
28 ?? What about user's existing /etc/portage/profile overrides, if any?
29
30 ?? Are you proposing the change be only for new profiles, eventually
31 deprecating the old ones, thus having the PMs (and devs maintaining
32 profiles) support both methods for awhile much as the cascading profiles
33 migration was handled? By definition, at least user's current /etc/
34 portage/profile/ settings are in the current format, so if you continue
35 to support that, you'll in effect continue to support the old profile
36 format, and (from the PM viewpoint) migration might as well be via new
37 profiles and current profile deprecation, but that will force profile
38 maintainers to maintain both for whatever period.
39
40 ?? And if they change, are you proposing a script that a user can run to
41 automate the process, or simply a news item pointing to the appropriate
42 gentoo profile upgrade documentation page, or ??
45 In general, the idea seems like an eventual efficiency gain and I'm not
46 opposed, but I do wonder if the gain is actually going to be worth it in
47 practice, given the above. Still, I'm not opposed, but I tend to be
48 rather more leading edge and less opposed to change than most users in
49 any case, and I'd guess a significant number of both users and devs that
50 will be trying to support them (and both sets of profiles if the profile
51 deprecation and upgrade migration method is chosen), will have rather
52 stronger ideas about the practical cost/benefit ratio of such a change.
57 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman