From: Jason Stubbs <jasonbstubbs@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Speaking of new kernels being added to the tree
Date: Sat, 04 Oct 2003 23:34:34
1 On Sunday 05 October 2003 01:13, Jon Portnoy wrote:
2 > On Sat, Oct 04, 2003 at 01:57:42PM +0000, Luke-Jr wrote:
4 > > Hash: SHA1
5 > >
6 > > On Saturday 04 October 2003 01:50 pm, Patrick Börjesson wrote:
7 > > > I've always thought of genkernel as a tool for those not "competent"
8 > > > enough to compile the kernel by them selves... As such I don't think it
9 > > > should be something that is used by default but rather something that
10 > > > gets mentioned in the install-docs, and not forced on users.
11 > >
12 > > Compiling the kernel is quite simple: 'make bzImage modules'
13 > > I believe you mean configuring, which genkernel still lets you do.
14 > > Also, as I said, there could be a -src suffix to install the source. For
15 > > example, what about people who would consider themselves "competent"
16 > > enough to compile GCC or KDE themselves? =p
17 >
18 > Every dev and user who has responded has said it's a Very Bad Idea. Why
19 > are you still arguing for it?
20
21 Ahem?
22
23 I think the main point to the discussion is new users. I, too, have never used
24 genkernel so don't know how viable the idea of using it in its current state
25 would be. Nor am I admonishing that it should be the "only way to go".
26 However, everything in Gentoo is configured, compiled and installed through
27 the single emerge command. It would make most sense to me to choose what
28 classes of drivers/functionality I wanted through USE flags and then do
29 post-installation configuration through /etc/modules.autoload*. Can anyone
30 say why the kernel is special and should be done differently? - other than if
31 it ain't broke don't fix it!
32
33 I'm with almost all other people in that it would not be a high priority for
34 some time to come. On the other hand, I'm against people who are putting
35 forward arguments that the kernel is somehow special. Almost every other
36 package is installed with extra cruft so that can't be used as an excuse.
37 Gentoo is about making things easier for everyone which means safe defaults
38 and easily accessible complete customisation, so Luke-Jr's idea at least
39 deserves consideration rather than instant dismissal.
40
41 Jason
44 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list