From: Jon Portnoy <avenj@g.o>
To: Luke-Jr <luke-jr@g.o>
Cc: "Patrick Börjesson" <psycho@××××××××.cx>, gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Speaking of new kernels being added to the tree
Date: Sat, 04 Oct 2003 16:13:10
1 On Sat, Oct 04, 2003 at 01:57:42PM +0000, Luke-Jr wrote:
3 > Hash: SHA1
4 >
5 > On Saturday 04 October 2003 01:50 pm, Patrick Börjesson wrote:
6 > > I've always thought of genkernel as a tool for those not "competent"
7 > > enough to compile the kernel by them selves... As such I don't think it
8 > > should be something that is used by default but rather something that
9 > > gets mentioned in the install-docs, and not forced on users.
10 > Compiling the kernel is quite simple: 'make bzImage modules'
11 > I believe you mean configuring, which genkernel still lets you do.
12 > Also, as I said, there could be a -src suffix to install the source. For
13 > example, what about people who would consider themselves "competent" enough
14 > to compile GCC or KDE themselves? =p
15
16 Every dev and user who has responded has said it's a Very Bad Idea. Why
17 are you still arguing for it?
21 Jon Portnoy
22 avenj/irc.freenode.net
25 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list