From: Grobian <grobian@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GLEP 42 "Critical News Reporting" Round Two
Date: Sat, 05 Nov 2005 11:19:02
1 Jan Kundrát wrote:
2 > On Saturday 05 of November 2005 11:28 Grobian wrote:
3 >> Remember that it is easy
4 >> to say here that users don't read what's on their consoles as well, as
5 >> in post emerge messages etc. So make sure you deal with it upfront, why
6 >> you think now it *will* work.
7 >
8 > "Emerge messages" are usually hidden by compilation output, so this argument
9 > doesn't apply here, IMHO. Or am I missing your point here?
10
11 You give an example here of why console messages aren't read. But if
12 that is your rationale here, I would like to see it stated in the GLEP
13 why it *will* work there. On the previous discussion there was an
14 example of a console message not being read fully/properly. This will
15 happen to more people. What I was asking for is that such situation is
16 either outlawed (ie. "People should just read, if they don't then it's
17 not my problem") or recognised (ie. "It is known that people do not
18 read, hence we propose to use a text-to-speech module and play the
19 produced audio file, so the user can listen to the imporant message" --
20 idiotic example of course).
21
22 Just to make things clear and properly defined.
26 Fabian Groffen
27 Gentoo for Mac OS X Project -- Interim Lead
28 --
29 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list