From: Steve Long <slong@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Re: moving USE=server to global
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2007 15:10:17
1 M. Edward (Ed) Borasky wrote:
2 >> I don't see what is so dangerous about a server flag. After all I don't
3 >> set doc globally, but it is a useful global flag, with clear intent, as
4 >> would be server.
5 >>
6 >> If usr sets server on a box in make.conf, against advice, they still have
7 >> to actually emerge the pkgs they want, after all. So it's not like it's
8 >> going to lead to a mass of bloat (unlike the current setup.)
9 >>
10 > Actually, on my systems, about the only USE flags I *don't* set globally
11 > in make.conf are "doc", "examples" and "source". There are very few
12 > conflicts from this, and just about everything in my package.use file is
13 > either making the documentation and examples or suppressing an option
14 > for a package where it doesn't work. It turns out to be easier for me to
15 > manage things that way than to have a humongous package.use and a few
16 > options in make.conf.
17
18 With respect, I don't see how this affects anything to do with the flag? Eg
19 for my personal use, I need KRB5, LDAP, SMB and mySQL. The only server I
20 want is mySQL for local web-development with apache2, so I'd set server for
21 dev-db/mySQL in package.use and leave it at that.
22
23 I can understand that USE-conditional deps might be required, eg if a user
24 (grr like you ppl don't know what usr means ;) wants a web-app it might
25 require a db server. Firstly, I thought those were coming, and secondly in
26 that case the user would I would think know that server software was
27 needed, as s/he would be setting up a server app. A simple ewarn would
28 suffice imo, since the db server might well be on another host.
32 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list