From: "M. Edward (Ed) Borasky" <znmeb@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: moving USE=server to global
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2007 21:26:55
1 Steve Long wrote:
2 >> Yeah -- "server" is way too generic. I've forgotten where else I use it,
3 >> but when I build "vnc" I use it to get a VNC server. Maybe make a local
4 >> "vnc-server" USE flag for that one.
7 > I don't see what is so dangerous about a server flag. After all I don't set
8 > doc globally, but it is a useful global flag, with clear intent, as would
9 > be server.
10 >
11 > If usr sets server on a box in make.conf, against advice, they still have to
12 > actually emerge the pkgs they want, after all. So it's not like it's going
13 > to lead to a mass of bloat (unlike the current setup.)
14 >
15 Actually, on my systems, about the only USE flags I *don't* set globally
16 in make.conf are "doc", "examples" and "source". There are very few
17 conflicts from this, and just about everything in my package.use file is
18 either making the documentation and examples or suppressing an option
19 for a package where it doesn't work. It turns out to be easier for me to
20 manage things that way than to have a humongous package.use and a few
21 options in make.conf.
27 M. Edward (Ed) Borasky, FBG, AB, PTA, PGS, MS, MNLP, NST, ACMC(P)
28 http://borasky-research.blogspot.com/
29
30 If God had meant for carrots to be eaten cooked, He would have given rabbits fire.
33 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list